A Sweet Moment
I just had to post this so I don't forget. Alaina usually takes forever to get down for a nap -- she really fights it. And this morning, I laid her down multiple times but she'd only fall asleep in my arms. But just now, I got her to sleep by simply holding her upright with her head on my shoulder and singing "Over the Rainbow" to her repeatedly. I then laid her down and sang a bit more until she fully fell asleep. It was so nice for her to go gently and peacefully for a change. I'm sure it'll be another 15-30 minute nap, but at least the process of getting her to sleep was more pleasant.
Friday, March 23, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Hey Elise-
Wish I could help you with naps, but Joshua is sort of a power napper, too. And he was really hard to put to bed at night up until he was about 5 months old- we would hold him until he fell asleep, and then gently, gently set him down and tiptoe out of the room. Then all of the sudden at 5 months, he didn't want to be held to sleep and he would fall asleep on his own after about 10 minutes of fussing. Now he goes down really easily at night. So I guess my point is- don't be nervous that it will always be this way or that if you don't get it right now, you'll ruin her sleep habits forever. My only other tip is to put her down at the very first sign that she's ready to sleep. As soon as Joshua rubs his ear or starts getting a little fussy, he's ready for a nap, and if I make him wait, he's harder to get to sleep. Good luck! I'm sure that you guys are doing a great job with her!
Susan, thanks for telling me about your experience with Joshua! It's very encouraging that he gradually became able to fall asleep on his own even though you'd been holding him. I keep feeling like I'm doing something wrong, but I think it's just her temperament.
Post a Comment