On Wednesday, we went to a community center in one of the local suburbs to see a singer/guitarist (the performance was aimed at 2-6 year olds). A costumed character (Biscuit from the books of the same name) appeared, also. Alaina loved Biscuit. I mean really loved him. She monopolized him. She gave him at least 20 hugs. I kept trying to decide if I should intervene because she was kind of stroking him a little too much and I hoped the person inside wasn't bothered. But she was thrilled. I did have to pull her away at one point -- some kids pulled Biscuit's tail and she did, too, after they did (I guess she is a follower -- I don't think she even thought of it until they did it first). She was really sad after that and worried that Biscuit was upset, but I told her he forgave her.
After the performance we played at a nearby playground. The weather was just too wonderful to be inside.

Alaina is in the turquoise sweatshirt trying to reach Biscuit's paw.

Today we went to the zoo. It was another gorgeous day, so I knew I wanted to do something outside. I hadn't planned on buying a zoo pass yet, but decided it was too good an opportunity to pass up. We only had time to visit 2 sections of the zoo, so we'll have to go back soon and do the rest. It seemed huge -- but maybe my perception was off.
Alaina loved all the inflatable Halloween decorations but didn't understand that they were decorations and not toys.



This was my attempt to get a photo of Alaina with one of the birds in the aviary. It is pretty much impossible to accomplish getting a bird in the picture, a 2-year-old in the picture, and have the child's face actually turned your direction with a smile. There is a cardinal on the branch over Alaina's right ponytail.

By the end, we were tired but Alaina started perusing the map to plan our next visit!

Lately Alaina's very eager to help in the kitchen. We bought a little step ladder for me in the kitchen so I can reach the top shelves (I need the storage space). She loves to watch and help while I'm cooking. Yesterday, apparently my nesting instinct kicked in because I decided to make homemade shrimp and tomato ravioli with homemade marinara. This plan might have worked better had Alaina taken a decent nap, but she woke up early, so suddenly I was making homemade ravioli and sauce with her as my sous chef. A few fun moments, two tantrums, one time out, one spilled spice jar, and a huge mess later (took about 2 hours total), we sat down to plates of delicious but sloppy/unkempt ravioli. At least it tasted good! Can't say I'll be doing that again anytime soon, though. I am enjoying her helpful attitude when making less complicated recipes. Last night I was just getting her a glass of water with ice and she pulled the step ladder over just to see that! I guess I have to remember how frustrating it must be for her to live down so low where she can't see most of what's happening.

3 comments:
Wow, you jumped right in to finding fun things to do! The Columbus zoo is fabulous- you'll love having a pass! We were there this summer, and I agree- it's huge. Say hi to the Cleveland elephants from the Calzada's!
I love all the pictures! We can't wait to come and visit!
Love the pics, and it looks like you guys are finding great things to do. That's so cool that you got to see Biscuit. We have a Halloween Biscuit book that Sam really likes. Too cute that she was so eager to touch him. Sam would probably be a little afraid of something like that. Can't wait to see what other adventures you get into there.
Post a Comment