Monday, February 26, 2007

Possible Breakthrough?

I hesitate to even suggest that this could be a breakthrough -- I don't want to jinx it! Alaina had a couple really rough nights -- Thursday and Saturday, to be specific. She woke up anywhere from every 1-3 hours, mostly 1-2 hours. Obviously, she's too big to be hungry that often. I could only surmise that it was gas (she definitely had some) and possibly because she was breaking out of her swaddle. I really felt like she was regressing and wondered how long this would last.

However...last night I fed her at 8:15 p.m., 1:45 a.m., 5:45 a.m., and 8:45 a.m.! So she went 5 1/2 hours between the first two and then 4 between the next two. It was incredible. I wish I could re-create it tonight. It was so nice to get bigger chunks of sleep. She was up for a long time at the 1:45 feeding, but I'd gladly put up with that if she could do this every night for a while. I hope we'll have another good night tonight! Last Thursday night was particularly rough -- I probably only got a few hours of sleep.

Here are a couple cute bathtime photos from this afternoon. Alaina enjoys baths, but sometimes she seems to find them more stimulating than calming, so I've been doing them in the afternoons lately. She gets really cranky in the evenings, so it's nice to eliminate one stimulating thing from her evening. I think seeing her Daddy each evening just about drives her to the limit without adding anything else!


Today I was rocking her to sleep for a nap and looking forward to her falling asleep so I could get some things done. Then I realized that I need to stop and appreciate special moments like rocking her to sleep. She is already growing so quickly and I don't want to just rush through everything.

No comments: