Friday, May 02, 2008

Indianapolis Museum of Art

While Kathy visited, we had a fun afternoon filled with yummy food at Cafe Patachou (best cinnamon toast ever!) and a visit to the Indianapolis Museum of Art.

Embarrassingly, after living in Indy for almost 10 years I had never been to the art museum. The building was recently renovated and is gorgeous. We visited the American and Contemporary art galleries. One of my favorite exhibits was devoted to an origami artist. I couldn't believe the intricate animals and other items he constructed just by folding a single sheet of paper. Alaina was fairly patient and enjoyed looking around, although we did take a faster pace than I usually would have. The best thing about the museum? It is FREE (unless you go to one of the special exhibits). What a perfect thing to do with kids because you can always leave if they're impatient and not feel badly that you spent a bunch of money.

The other great thing about the museum is its beautiful gardens. I don't think we even saw all of them. They had tons of spring flowers and blooming trees.

Here's Alaina near the famous LOVE sculpture that's at the museum's entrance:


She really liked this fountain:


She loved looking at all the flowers up close (and thankfully didn't pull any of them out):

Another fountain:

It seemed like they had tulips in every possible color -- pink, purple, red, orange, etc.:

No comments: