Many thanks to Janine for photographing Alaina at the baseball game!
Some miscellaneous commentary...as usual, life with Alaina is filled with high highs and low lows. She continues to be a girl who feels things very deeply -- I know that is a trademark of kids her age, but it applies to her even more than most. When she's exicted, she's very excited. When she's upset or frustrated, she has been throwing things lately (or even hitting one of us). I'm not thrilled with that development, and I'm hoping to come up with ways to help her cope better with her emotions.
The adorable moments get me through the rough times. Like yesterday, when Todd was showering and she brought him her rubber ducky. Or today when she pretended she was cooking something and talked about adding "a bit of olive oil." Or when a girl on TV or in a book is sad or hurting and she wants to kiss her and make her feel better. Here is a girl who loves life, savors it, and is starting to have compassion and caring for others. Unfortunately, she also wants to do what she wants, when she wants, and doesn't like it when she can't do something on the first try. Sometimes when she gets really upset I get frustrated and I don't like myself. I'm not a stern type of person, and I don't like it when I have to be firm with her, but I do it anyway when it seems necessary for her own good.

No comments:
Post a Comment